Call for appointments

(605) 886-8650

Headache

Headache is the third most common condition seen at Deutsch Chiropractic, following back and neck pain. Nine out of 10 Americans including folks from Watertown suffer from headaches. In 35 years of practice, we’ve seen headaches of all varieties.  Some headaches are periodic, some frequent, some are dull and throbbing, and some are just downright debilitating.

Headaches can be caused by many different triggers, but they all have one thing in common – they all happen for a reason. A headache is the body’s way of telling you something isn’t right.

headache causes and treatment

What Causes Headache?

Headaches have many causes. The medical literature refers to “triggers” that include foods, environmental stimuli (noises, lights, stress, etc.) and behaviors like insomnia, excessive exercise, or blood sugar changes.  About 5 percent of all headaches are warning signals caused by systemic problems like high blood pressure. The remaining 95 percent of headaches are considered primary headaches, such as tension, migraine, or cluster headaches.

The majority of primary headaches seen in a chiropractor’s office are associated with muscle tension in the neck, mostly due to sedentary activities, or posture problems from spending too much time looking down texting or sitting in front of a poorly adjusted computer monitor.

Other headaches associated with muscle tension can be due to actual spinal problems in the neck like spinal subluxations, pinched nerves, disc degeneration, spinal stenosis, disc herniation, or joint irritation.

 

 


What Can the Doctors at Deutsch Chiropractic Do?

Chiropractic is a natural treatment that promotes the body’s own healing ability. At Deutsch Chiropractic, we’ve seen many patients who come in seeking relief for headaches. Our experience is it doesn’t take long for people to recognize that chiropractic isn’t just about providing relief— in many cases, treatment actually helps correct the underlying cause.

In fact, thirty-five years of experience, backed by research (see below), shows that spinal manipulation is an effective treatment option for headaches that originate in the neck.

As with any person we see in the office, our first step is to make sure you’re in the right place (we think all doctors should do this!) by performing a thorough history and examination to reach a diagnosis and understanding of the causes and triggers of your headaches.

Once the cause of your headache is understood, treatment options are discussed.

If appropriate in your case, your treatment plan may include one or more of the following: nutritional advice, dietary recommendations, acupuncture, ergonomic advice (home or work postures), soft tissue therapies, chiropractic adjusting, exercises and relaxation techniques. If your problem is not something we can help, we will refer you to the specialist that can.

Discover How Chiropractic Can Help You

If you suffer from headaches and have either exhausted medical methods or are just starting to look for a natural way to eliminate them, contact our practice today to find out how we can help. Dr. Fred and Dr. Kathleen understand headache origin and have experience working with patients like you  to relieve the pain from headache.

References For Headache

  • Bryans R, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, et al. Evidence based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with neck pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2014; 37: 42-63. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24262386
  • Bryans R, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, et al. Evidence based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with headache. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2011; 34: 274-89. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21640251